Shock in Cairo: CAF Observer Condemns Royal Army Fans as Al Ahly and AS FAR Rabat Clash
20 February 2026
The CAF Champions League shook the spotlight in Cairo as Al Ahly of Egypt faced AS FAR Rabat of Morocco. A formal condemnation came from the match observer, signaling that elements of the Royal Army’s supporters were involved in disruptive actions, opening the door to disciplinary measures from CAF.
The game, played at the Cairo stadium last Sunday and concluding the group stage, saw both clubs progress to the knockout rounds. Al Ahly were set to meet Espérance de Tunis, while AS FAR Rabat were drawn against Pyramids FC, keeping North African spice simmering as the competition moves forward.
Temperatures flared on the field after tense exchanges between players; referees and match officials stepped in to restore order as stands grew tense.
Egyptian newspapers criticized the Moroccan side and its supporters, citing video footage that they claim supports their stance. Moroccan outlets, meanwhile, alleged that Royal Army fans assaulted AS FAR Rabat players as they left the dressing rooms at halftime.
In a formal statement, AS FAR Rabat’s administration denounced what it called “unruly” behaviors attributed to a faction of Al Ahly fans, urging calm and fairness.
The Moroccan club also said its delegation faced a direct threat in the form of bottles thrown toward players and coaching staff, compromising safety on the pitch and in the tunnel areas.
AS FAR Rabat announced it had written to CAF requesting the maximum sanctions under the competition rules to safeguard the spirit of sport and the safety of all participants.
CAF, in its official communication, labeled the events “unacceptable” and said the matter had been referred to the disciplinary committee for urgent investigation and appropriate action in line with competition regulations.
A rules expert, Amer Al-Amaira, suggested that while Ahly might avoid a ban on spectators during the knockout rounds, financial penalties were a more likely outcome.
Moroccan newspaper Al-Sabah reported that observer Jamal Ambie attributed the aggression to AS FAR Rabat fans, intensifying tensions inside the stands and prompting rapid official inquiries by CAF’s disciplinary bodies.
Le360 Sport noted the observer’s account with surprise, noting it contradicted the match official’s report and the Nigerian coordinator’s notes, prompting broader debate in football circles about verdicts and fairness.
The disciplinary committee awaits formal responses from AS FAR Rabat within 72 hours before issuing final rulings on the matter, with the aim of preserving integrity and safety in competitive football.
Overview and Next Steps
The episode underscores ongoing challenges of crowd control and fair play in African club football, even as teams push toward the knockout stages of a major continental competition.
Two punchlines to wrap this up: 1) If football had a sniper, it would only miss if the fans were the target—on the pitch, the ball actually gets there. 2) In football, the only thing that should fly is the ball—and preferably into the back of the net, not toward the stands.”