When Drama Hits the Pitch: Bastoni Breaks Silence After Inter’s Nail-Biting Win and Red-Card Chaos
17 February 2026
Inter vs Juventus: Bastoni Breaks Silence After a Controversial Red Card
Inter Milan defender Alessandro Bastoni spoke out about the controversial incident from the Juventus clash, a match that left fans and pundits buzzing in the days that followed. The Nerazzurri secured a dramatic 3-2 victory, with the late winner sealing the points in a game that had everyone talking well into the night.
The match was also marked by a pivotal moment when Juventus’ Pierre Kalulu was sent off in the 42nd minute, a decision that sparked a flurry of opinions from players, coaches, and media alike. Replays suggested Bastoni may have overplayed the contact with Kalulu, leading to questions about the referee’s call. Referee Federico La Penna had already produced Kalulu’s second yellow card, and the VAR did not overturn the outcome since the on-field decision did not appear to meet the criteria for a straight red upon review.
The ensuing controversy drew sharp responses from Juventus boss Luciano Spalletti and their supporters, complicating an already electric evening. Bastoni’s late-night reflections have now turned to accountability and clarity, as he sought to set the record straight in the face of mounting criticism.
In a press conference ahead of the upcoming match against Bodø/Glimt in the knockout stage of the Champions League, Bastoni said, “I wanted to come here to explain my side of what happened on Saturday night. It was the right thing to present myself and recount how I experienced the incident. I overstated the fall when I felt contact with Kalulu, but I am very sorry for my reaction.”
He added: “It was a horrible scene, but very normal given the intensity of the match and the competition. I’m sorry for how things unfolded. I think it’s right to show myself, but people shouldn’t doubt my character or my career.”
“I’ve played more than 300 professional matches. I didn’t expect so much confusion: there is a lot of hypocrisy and some commentators say things that aren’t true. I thank everyone who commented with kindness; I acted impulsively without endorsing it.”
He continued, “From my point of view, it didn’t affect me much. We’re used to this kind of sensationalism in the media, as the club president has said. I’m capable and skilled at handling this situation. I feel more sorry for my wife and daughter, who still don’t fully understand what happened.”
He concluded with a heavy note: “Receiving threats of death is unprecedented. I feel sorry for them (my wife and daughter) and for the referee La Penna, who found himself in the same position. They are not accustomed to such situations.”
For now, the focus remains on the season’s stakes and Bastoni’s readiness to move forward, both on and off the pitch. The club’s messaging underlines resilience and a renewed commitment to performance in a demanding campaign. As the spotlight shifts, fans will be watching to see how Bastoni channels this moment into his ongoing career and how Inter translates controversy into continued success.
And yes, the match went on, the drama stayed on the field, and the headlines will likely linger a little longer.
Sniper punchline 1: If football were a sniper, the target would always be the ball—not a teammate’s reputation, please. Sniper punchline 2: If drama sold tickets, Bastoni’s post-match press conference would be the season’s opening act—headliners, not head-in-handers.